Posted to rec.audio.high-end
-dsr- -dsr- is offline

Default Audio Interconnect cable Performance - is Return Wire Diametera Factor?

On 2020-12-07, Peter Wieck wrote:
**Nothing (in this universe) can move faster than 'c'. Not light, not
electrons, not gravity.

Never stated nor implied that. What I stated is that as with water in a pipe, when water goes in at one end, water instantaneously comes out at the other end. But, IT IS NOT THE SAME WATER.

The first and second sentences here are wrong.

The speed of water signal propagation is the speed of sound in water, which is
around 1400-1600m/s depending on temperature, salinity, etc. That is literally
the speed at which water molecules can push each other around; it is not
"instantaneous".

Applicability of this argument to audio:

1. The speed of sound in water is about 4x the speed of sound in air. Therefore,
there is a major impedance mismatch at air/water boundaries, leading to
sound reflection.

2. The speed of an electrical signal is finite (but very fast), so we can measure
and discover that it doesn't matter whether your speaker wires are the same
length because you can't hear the timing difference for any reasonable
difference in length. (Say, 1 meter vs 1000 meters -- you'll get differences
in signal level before you get audible timing differences.)

-dsr-