Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Clipping on professionally produced CD's

On Jan 18, 8:46*pm, Jason wrote:
I was listening to a Paul Simon CD (The Best Of..) and thought I'd
"look" at some of the tracks in Audition. To my surprise, two of the
three I um auditioned clipped in a number of spots. I haven't done this
with other CD's and am surprised at this; is it common? FWIW, I listened
carefully with headphones and couldn't hear evidence of clipping. Perhaps
the pros know something I don't (falls over laughing hysterically).

Metallica's "Death Magnetic"(2008) album is considered one of the
loudest records ever produced and the most blatent example of what the
loudness war is doing to commercial recorded sound.
I'm surprised until now it has not been mentioned in this very good
thread.

-ChrisCoaster