Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Default Recommendations, 8" subwoofer and possibly amp

Hi Sharky,

I would recommend JBL or some of the higher-end Rockford Fosgate lines
for what you're talking about.

I run a JBL GTO1004D 10" Sub in a ported (self-built) box, and I
couldn't be happier about it.
Here's a link to a JBL 8-inch that you may want to check out (and it's
only $80):http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTO8...Grand-Touring-
Series-GTO804.html?tp=111.

I was checking out the amp you're planning on using and it doesn't
look like it's really meant to run anything at 2-ohms, so I'd stay
away from that - you may have already known, but I like to err on the
side of caution when it comes to dispensing advice...

Hope That Helps,
~Mister.Lull

On Apr 8, 4:08*pm, "Sharky" wrote:
Hi. *I've been in and out of the car audio scene over the last few decades,
but lately, have not been keeping up on what is the newest and greatest.
Recently, I was shopping around at Princess Auto and picked up a very small
8" subwoofer enclosure, probably around 0.35-0.4 cu.ft. in size. *It is very
small, but the reason it caught my eye is because I have been pondering the
idea of installing a smaller sub enclosure in my Toyota Sienna (yes, that's
a mini-van, LOL). *This box was only $5 including tax, and is already
carpeted and pre-wired for one speaker, as well as a neon-ring connection,
if that were so desired (it's not). *It actually isn't built all that bad,
not like the foldout build it-yourself boxes from Wal-mart, but I will take
a caulking gun to the joints and probably add some filler. *It suits my
needs because of the fact that it will slide directly under the middle row
seat where it is out of harms way, and means I can still use the rear of the
van for my tools and gear (I leave the two rear seats out all the time),
without worrying about losing storage space or damaging the sub with my
construction gear. *Installing under the middle seat will also make it much
easier to route power and RCA leads to the amplifier, because it is closer
than installing all the way to the rear of the van.

I'm looking for some recommendations on a mid to good quality sub that will
suit this box, and still sound somewhat decent. *I have an amplifier that I
can use, which is a Pioneer GM 5100T,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Video/Amplifie...,
currently it is mated to a MA Audio 12" sub that is not being used. *250-300
watts RMS would be more than plenty, but I'd like to stay around that number
in case I do use the Pioneer to power it. *The head unit is an Almani
DVT-909, which has subwoofer volume control and crossover switching
built-in. *Not a bad unit, but I wish I had researched it a bit more before
purchase. *However, it is capable of playing DVDs, and recordable DVD-/+RW
and has two sets of A/V outputs for headrest monitors, which is something
else I may look into down the road.

Any recommendations on a 8" subwoofer that would suit my needs would be
greatly appreciated. *BTW, I am not looking to rattle the windows out or
wake up the neighbours. *I'd just like to add a bit of punch to my music,
which can vary anywhere from heavy metal, to rock, to rap, and even some
dance music. *Also, the install clearance for the box is 4.5", so the sub
cannot have a huge magnet. *The van is a family vehicle, mostly on the
weekends, so I can't go too outrageous with my setup.

Thanks in advance,
Sharky