Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Default $100 Sony HD tuner blows away classic tuners

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Sonnova" wrote in message

Then I got a Garrard AT-7 "Automatic turntable" with the
big, heavy platter, but it rumbled.

My recollection is that the AT-7 was actually based on Garrard's lighter
weight chassis of the day. The heavier chassis was used for the Type A,
A-70, and Zero-100. The AT-7 was based on the AT-6 and mainly differed by
the addition of a 12" overlay on the AT-6 10" turntable.

All of the Garrards of the day rumbled. The main bearing was the cause,
and
adding a heavier platter make the cheap bearing vibrate more.

Of course my Glaser Steers was a rumble box as well.

There was very little escape from rumble in those days, unless you moved to
a very large transcription turntable or to the few belt drives then
available (and viewed with suspicion by the audio community). That's why
many amps and most preamps had a built-in switchable rumble filter.