Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Anything you think was consistently done better in the past inthe pro/commercial recording world than how it's done today?

On 26/08/2020 5:27 pm, Trevor wrote:
On 26/08/2020 2:54 pm, geoff wrote:
On 26/08/2020 4:48 pm, wrote:
I'm talking about what one would label as the pro world of recording
of material for mass consumption.
Is there anything about a particular arena of recording - pop,
classical, opera, TV news, film, etc. - whatever - that you find
lacking compared to an earlier era despite all the technology? Or do
you think audio recording is at its zenith now?

Recording technology is certainly at its zenith - one can achieve
whatever one wants, for better or for worse, and
recording/production/delivery is nearer to the actual acoustic (where
appropriate) that ever in the past.

I would agree, but I know plenty of people still argue tape is better
than digital. Or valve amps are superior to solid state (and not just
guitar amps) Or vinyl is better than CD. Or classic mics are superior
etc. So I'm sure you could have an endless debate with those people if
that's what you are after. These people simply don't get the difference
between *personal preference*, artistic *choices*, and actual
superiority of performance.

Many people believe religions and other irrational and ridiculous things
too.

Whether or not 'most' of the music is as creative or worthy of
admiration is up for debate ...

Well at least that is *really* debatable! But once again it is more
about personal preference.

But no matter how good (or bad) it can be done very well ;- )

geoff