Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Anything to say on Speakons

Tatonik wrote:
I'm planning on terminating some speaker cables with Speakon connectors.
I've plugged in Speakons a few times, but never built any cables with
them. In addition to the Neutrik brand, I noticed Amphenol has their
own version (slightly more expensive). Is there any reason to pick one
over the other (or any other brand I don't know about), in regard to
quality or ease of wiring or general use?

They are all fine. Neutrik will sell you some with metal bodies that are
more expensive but can stand a truck driving over them at a festival. I
tend to like those. Use the NL4, not the NL2, because nobody uses the NL2
and you won't be compatible with anyone else.

The Amphenols are fine. There are some cheap Chinese knockoffs also and
those aren't very rugged at all but you get what you pay for. They are
functional and cheap.

I'm surprised this style of connector hasn't caught on in high-end home
audio. The basic design seems so much safer and more secure than
anything else I've encountered.

High end people don't want secure and reliable, they want options for
tweaking.