Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default How consistent are studio monitors of the same make and model?

Don Pearce wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 21:08:39 -0700 (PDT), James Price
wrote:

How do manufacturers ensure a high degree of sonic consistency
(eg. frequency response, max peak SPL, etc.) between studio monitors of the
same make and model? *Is* there a high degree of sonic consistency between two seemingly identical studio monitors/playback systems?

If you take as an example the LS3/5A BBC monitor speaker, the B110
bass drivers were selected to have a resonance frequency within 5Hz
for a matched pair. The internal resonance of the cabinet will pull
the speakers into line from that tolerance.

And the thing is that with modern manufacturing we can get much better
consistency than we could when the LS3/A was new. Now it's not unusual
to see every speaker off the production line having the Fs within 5 Hz
of the nominal value, even for cheap stuff.

Whether they stay within that value as they age is another question. That
is the real problem with picking speakers that have had different histories
and putting them together.