Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

Default Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 4:10:54 PM UTC-4, Peter Wieck wrote:
We have apples: "Good working order".

And we have Oranges: "Of course it's a very old amp...".

That it was only a capacitor is remarkable.
That the amp was modified is, likely, a contributing factor.

That it's made by Radford is at least as likely a factor.

In the 1970's I was an authorized service center for Radford
and made, at the time, a fair piece of change repairing their
stuff under warranty. That is until they decided to stop paying
for warranty repairs altogether. And, at that point, I stopped
accepting Radford product for warranty repairs: I'd be damned if
I was going to eat their problems.

The biggest issues were failed power supply capacitors and,
strangely enough, failed power supply transformers. There
was no apparent correlation between the two: Lots of caps
went nova, and two or three transformers went as well: but
in those cases, the caps were okay.

Beyond that, almost every one of the Radford preamps I
encountered has bad pots (all noisy, several with dead
spots).

Not the most confidence-inspiring product line, to be sure.

Best of luck!

Indeed!