Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

Default DSP Experts: HPF and DC Offset

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Neil Gould" wrote in message

Please explain this, as it is not something I've experienced in over
25 years of editing digital audio. There is no amplitude in the
signal at zero-crossing points, so how can it possibly result in a
click?

Just because you're merging two clips at a zero crossing doesn't mean
that there isn't a difference in the DC levels of the two clips. It
is the difference in the DC levels of the two clips that causes the
click, pop, or thump.

Perhaps we're talking about different kinds of "zero", Arny. 8-)

DC level would have to be represented as something other than zero. Just to
be clear, I'm not arguing that DC offsets are never problematic... they can
be. But, so can trying to remove it in a push-button fashion.

--
Neil