Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

Default DSP Experts: HPF and DC Offset

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Neil Gould" wrote in message

I completely agree with your observations, which is why I'm curious
about trying to remove DC offset in post-processing if there is no
point of reference such as a steady state level without AM signal.
Since an xformer balanced input won't pass DC, I wondered how likely
it would be that DC offset would be passed through the A/D. So, in
either case, HPF is not much
of a solution.

If you are editing audio, and any of the file(s) involved have a DC
offset, there is a very good chance of introducing a click when you
cut and paste. Not just theory, but a fact that many of us who
actually edit audio (and not just pontificate about it) have
unfortunately experienced.

Others of us who actually edit audio realize that edits that occur at
locations other than zero-crossing points will result in a click, and in
such cases a DC component is irrelevant.

You can minimize clicks and pops due to editing by only cutting on
zero crossings, but that is not a 100% solution.

Please explain this, as it is not something I've experienced in over 25
years of editing digital audio. There is no amplitude in the signal at
zero-crossing points, so how can it possibly result in a click?

--
best,

Neil