Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Zoom H6

On 10/2/2013 12:28 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

OK fellers, see if you can absorb all of this information at once.

1. I am not a professional recording engineer and don't want or need an
$8000 recorder. This is not because I am stubborn.

Fair enough. I don't have an $8,000 portable recorder, but if I wanted
to record live with six mics, I don't mind toting a couple of devices
and cables to put them together on site. Takes maybe 10 minutes more
than pulling a Zoom H6 out of your trench coat pocket.

2. I have been able to coax great performance out of small, inexpensive
digital recorders.

You don't have to coax great performance out of these things, you just
have to put the mics in the right place. The signal path isn't nearly as
bad as some people here are making it out to be.

3. I do two things with these little recorders: Audio and video. In audio I
am experimenting with and recording for their purposes, a local band. For
this I need a good recorder with multiple powered XLR inputs for good
microphones. In video I record the sound for double system sound tracks for
video production. Think of plays, music events etc. For this use I need a
small recorder on a mike stand that has its own built-in microphones.

Why do you need a small recorder on a mic stand for this? What's wrong
with a mic on a mic stand connected to a recorder? Or, do you need
another one? You already have a Zoom H2 don't you? What's wrong with
using that when that's the appropriate tool for your job? You don't
expect to sell the H2 for enough money to make it worth selling, do you?

I"m sure you'll do fine with the H6. I'd just make a different choice
myself. I like to be able to use the right tool for every job, not have
one tool that I can make work for any job. That would be nice, but I
haven't found it yet, and I've been around this business for more than
50 years.