Posted to rec.audio.high-end
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Default Attenuate highest highs?

On 19/02/2020 11:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 19/02/2020 6:41 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

**Those "tinkling noises" you hear are somewhere around 3kHz.

**Should read: "....somewhere around 3 ~ 5kHz."

It seems to be higher.

FWIW I just did this on-line frequency hearing test:
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html
and through my monitor-mounted Dell soundbar (with 25mm drivers) I could hear to just over 12.5kHz
but through the stereo in question could only hear to about 11.5kHz. That's quite a bit lower than
the last time I used a similar tool a few years back. Maybe those years when I spent hours several
nights a week at a mixing desk at live (loud) gigs in my 20s are coming back to bite me?

So now I'm a bit baffled. The issue I have is due to sounds at the highest frequencies that I can
hear and that seems to be ~11kHz with this system in the current configuration. Maybe they have a
peak about there or are flatter than the other speakers I've tried...

Very few instruments possess fundamentals that reach 5kHz. A very tiny number posses harmonics of
significant levels that exceed 10kHz.

Turn the volume down and see if the sound is still annoying. I suspect you are clipping your
amplifier. Clipping can generate large amounts of high frequency harmonic content. And, just to
shut down any myths you may have heard: Valve amplifiers WILL clip and WILL generate excessive high
frequency harmonics if over-driven.

It's not clipping. The Dynaco ST120 I have hooked up at the moment is a solid-state amp and I no
longer own any valve amps.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.