Posted to rec.audio.high-end
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Default Attenuate highest highs?

On 15/02/2020 1:11 am, Peter Wieck wrote:
What are you using for a pre-amp/power amp and/or integrated amp? Does it have tone controls? A small cut to the treble might solve this neatly. But:

Sorry Peter I didn't see your post until now and have replied to all of the others in this thread
so there might be relevant info there. I'm using a very basic pre-amp with no tone controls and a
certain Dynaco ST120 power amp. There is a pass-through crossover between the two taking everything
below 70Hz to a 10" subwoofer as described in another post.

I run an AR Athena sub-sat system in my office - via a Dynaco PAS-3x & ST-35. Given that even though I am "the boss", I am in an office environment so I keep the volume low.

As mentioned elsewhere my 'office' is a 'soft' alcove (there's carpet, an armchair, curtains etc.)
off my main open-plan dining / kitchen area where I have my computer and desk. As I live alone and
usually listen to material with a wide dynamic range I tend to listen at levels higher than most
people would in a true office environment.

I shouldn't have called it an office really, it's not an accurate description of the space.

Were I to run the system "flat", I would have exactly the problem you describe. The 3x has a 'loudness' switch that boosts the bass relative to the treble, just a bit. That allows a more balanced perceived sound at the low levels I use. That capability went out of style more-or-less in the 1980s. The other option would be an outboard equalizer - overkill certainly, but an option.

I've been watching auctions for good quality EQs but unfortunately anything other than used
gimmicky plastic 90s things (that people seem to ask new prices for) are well beyond my price range.

The 'disrupter' method, while cute, may require you to try many sorts of materials before you are satisfied and/or may require different materials based on the signal at hand. It does *work* however.

I did a bit of reading on the subject (mainly
http://www.bobhodas.com/examining-the-yamaha-ns-10m.php ) and dismissed it - for now at least.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.