Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

On 18/09/2019 7:53 pm, Howard Stone wrote:
Well the Radford is back and it has been working well for the past week, with my little Rogers JR149s. The bass is MUCH tighter.

**Than what? The Krell or the unrepaired Radford? The Krell possesses an
almost perfect bass response and low output impedance, thus bass will be
as good as it gets. The Radford, although a decent enough amplifier
cannot hope to match the Krell numbers. That said, the high(ish) output
impedance, common to most valve amplifiers, can lead to a pronounced
bass 'hump' at the resonance peak/s of the speaker system. The bass peak
may be preferred by some listeners.

My plan is to hold on to it for a couple of weeks or so, just to enjoy it and get to know it better. Then I'll send it for a thorough service.

I think the big thing I've learned, thanks to my adventures with the Krell and the Radford, is that the amp really does matter a huge amount. I'd underestimated that before.

**Of course it matters. On one hand you have a 'blameless'
amplifier (Krell) and, on the other hand, you have an amplifier that
insinuates it's own sonic character. The Krell exhibits a ruler flat
frequency response, excellent phase response, inaudible levels of THD
and is load invariant, down to below 2 Ohms. The Radford is the
opposite. It's frequency response varies with the applied load
impedance, it's phase response is not flat at frequency extremes and
distortion is high(ish).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au