Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Advice To Others Wanting to Build A Stereo System

Mike Rivers wrote: "
Did you ever find out why? If you understood the electronics (basic
electricity, actually) you'd understand why ignorant people tell you
that you should never do this, and understand why you can"

I was told that hooking up a speaker of lower
impedance than the minimum specified by a given
receiver or amp could cause that amp to "overheat
quickly" and that there was "insufficient load on the
amp".

Mike I'd be surprised if you or Dorsey told me that
I could 'ignore the numbers' and hook up speakers
of any impedance to my 8-16ohm receiver. And even
if you said it was okay, I'd still go by what's printed
or engraved on the back of it, and audition for the
best sounding speakers in the corresponding
impedance range. Those figures exist on the backs
of amplifiers & receivers for a reason.

This "use your ears; ignore the specs/numbers"
mentality today is irresponsible in my humble
estimation, and could lead to blown gear
and other sorts of damage(notably to said ears),
fires, etc.