Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default EV RE55

mcp6453 wrote:
On 2/19/2012 1:25 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
Based on the accolades by Roy W. Rising (and because of an experience I had with
one 30 years ago) I just bought an EV RE55. While I probably paid too much for
it, they aren't exactly making them any more. It will be interesting to test it
out.

And how is it?

I haven't used one for years, I just remember using one on a guitar on
stage and getting the cleanest sound, and with gain before feedback that
was better than an SM-57... and wondering "how the hell do they do that
with an omni?"

Now that I have had a little time to play, I can report that the mic has a very
natural sound to it. I'm going to try a different preamp in the near future as
the one I used is not very good. Unfortunately, the acoustics of my studio are
not good. It's easy to tell it's an omni because of room reflections.
Nevertheless, I can already tell that in a proper studio environment, this mic
could be very useful.

With an omni, you can get as close as you need to without any
proximity effect. This will have all the ugly that goes with getting
that close, but maybe that's better than room ugly.

--
Les Cargill