Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default EV RE55

On 2/19/2012 1:25 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Based on the accolades by Roy W. Rising (and because of an experience I had with
one 30 years ago) I just bought an EV RE55. While I probably paid too much for
it, they aren't exactly making them any more. It will be interesting to test it
out.

And how is it?

I haven't used one for years, I just remember using one on a guitar on
stage and getting the cleanest sound, and with gain before feedback that
was better than an SM-57... and wondering "how the hell do they do that
with an omni?"

Now that I have had a little time to play, I can report that the mic has a very
natural sound to it. I'm going to try a different preamp in the near future as
the one I used is not very good. Unfortunately, the acoustics of my studio are
not good. It's easy to tell it's an omni because of room reflections.
Nevertheless, I can already tell that in a proper studio environment, this mic
could be very useful.