Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

Default EV RE55

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Based on the accolades by Roy W. Rising (and because of an experience I
had with one 30 years ago) I just bought an EV RE55. While I probably
paid too much for it, they aren't exactly making them any more. It will
be interesting to test it out.

And how is it?

I haven't used one for years, I just remember using one on a guitar on
stage and getting the cleanest sound, and with gain before feedback that
was better than an SM-57... and wondering "how the hell do they do that
with an omni?"
--scott

EV Co-Founder Lou Burroughs always said "Start with an omni. If you hear
too much room, move it closer. Only when you can't move it close enough
should you *consider* a more directional mic." [Emphasis his.] Directional
mics have unpublished and unpredictable off-axis lobes that seem to hunger
for feedback.

I've told here before of setting up an omni EV 635A on a stand about eight
feet from a very accurate side fill monitor. I raised the mic's gain to
the point of feedback and backed it down 6 dB. When the singer arrived for
a sound check, he asked me to turn it down even more.

Omnis could be given better understanding and experimentation. Sometimes
we jump to a perceived problem solver before the problem is revealed. Are
we sometimes missing something?

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"