Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default EV RE55

On 2/15/2012 8:14 PM, Roy W. Rising wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Based on the accolades by Roy W. Rising (and because of an experience I
had with one 30 years ago) I just bought an EV RE55. While I probably
paid too much for it, they aren't exactly making them any more. It will
be interesting to test it out.

Congratulations! I know you will like the mic. My favorite evaluation
technique is A-B comparison (or, for loudspeakers, A-X-Y comparison). I
suggest that you double-track 'raw' the '55 with another mic you really
like, using a familiar voice.

In playback, route everything to a single monitor speaker. Flip-phase one
track and mix them to mono. Adjust the levels for the best null and
restore the phase. Then, using your 'standard' EQ settings on your
reference mic's track, use top and bottom shelving to get a similar
bass/treble balance on the RE55 track.

Flip the phase on one track and again seek the best null.

Now, after a long, ear-relaxing break, A-B the tracks. Let us know your
results.

Of course all you're going to use them for is drums ... ;-)

That's a great way to test, Roy. We'll see how it goes. Unfortunately, it will
be tested in my "studio" with my voice. Neither is very good.

Thirty years ago, I went into a radio station at which a friend was chief
engineer. The guy on the air had a great voice and was sounding great on the
air. In fact, the mic made his voice sound better than it really was. When I got
there, I checked it out, and it was an RE55. I've never forgotten it.