S888Wheel

Default THE ENDLESS DBT DEBATE

Steven said

At least some people like the way Bose's sound;

I said

Sure, mostly people who are not audiophiles. I think they make crap

speakers
but i think they market them well to nonaudiophiles. i don't personally

know
any audiophiles that likes their produicts as far as I am aware.

Steven said

But some audiophiles do like Bose speakers.

I'm sure some do. It's a big world with a lot of people in it.

Steven said

Gary Eickmeyer (sp?) used to post
here regularly regarding the virtues of properly set-up 901's.

Fair enough. You have cited one. I don't know him. Of course you can find many
dedicated audiophiles that are SET enthusiasts on Rec. Audio tubes and on the
Audio Asylum. They have their own subcatagory there. Bose does not.

I said

I disagree. Bose speakers IMO are well designed to making a good first
impression on people who are not really intterested in audio as a hobby.

The
people who prefer LPs are generally devoted audiophiles who spend much

time,
effort and money in persuit of excellence. I don't think you will find any

Bose
based systems in the homes of audiophiles who spend the time, effort and

money
that the LP enthusiasts do.

Steven said

I think I have, actually. See above. Howard Ferstler has heard and reported
on Gary's system, perhaps he could tell me if I'm mischaracterizing his as
an 'audiophile' or not.

One exception does not make a rule. Infact it doesn't even disprove a rule of
thumb. It is easy to find numerous hardcore audiophiles that love SETs. I am
conficent that hardcore audiophiles that love Bose are few and far between. I
think it is clear, given their sales, that Bose entusiasts are by and large not
dedicated audiophiles and usually are unaware of the existance of most high
fidelity highend speakers.

Steven said

Then again, audiophiles generally anoint *themselves*; there is no standard
for accreditation.

As it should be. It is only a hobby after all.

Steven said

Obsessing over obsolete technology is not necessarily *my*
idea of audiophilia.

You are certainly entitled to your take on your hobby. So are others who see
SETs as something more than an obsolete technology.

I said

Just as you pointed out that the average Joe
doesn't know of Vandersteen speakers I think it is fair tp say that the

average
audiophile does not have a high opinion of Bose nordo they find their
colorations euphonic. I think it is also fair to point out that like the
Vandersteens, SETs are not well known to the average Joe who buys bose
speakers.

Steven said

But the average audiophile has displayed so many ideas at odds with known
facts, that I've found teh average audiophile to be just as poor a
guidepost as the average Joe.

Well, that is your take on things. I think some of those facts are disputed by
very knowledgable people. I think many systems based on what is considered
snake oil, obsolete technologies and backwards thinking by many on RAHE are
really great sounding systems.

Steven said

Fortunately there seem to be more than a few *above average* audiophiles
around,
too, if yuou know where to look for them.

What? Now we are ranking audiophiles? That would be rather subjective top say
the least. What you consider to be above average may not be what I consider to
be above average.

Steven said

They're the ones who are skeptical
of dubious claims that the average audiophile accepts uncritically.

In your view. How would you rank Dave Wilson as an audiophile? How about Bill
Johnson? How would you rank Jim West, Richard Vandersteen or Gayle Sanders? I
think they all have pretty great systems as their reference systems.

Steven said

IMHO, of course.

Of course.

Steven said

Some people don't like the 'euphonic' distortions of turntables, either.

I said

I understand that but it would be unfair and IMOP unreasonable to compare

the
colorations of highend LP playback to the colorations of Bose speakers.

By what reasoning?

I think I have explained it in this thread.