Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone ever buy "B Stock" equip and later regret it?

wrote in message
I've found some good prices on ebay for stereo receivers I'm
considering, but they're "b stock."

The seller promises a 1 year warranty (not as long as manufacturer's),
promises they're in great condition, and the price, if they turned out
to be lemons, wouldn't exactly destroy me. Still, I'm nervous.
Anyone have strong opinions on whether such purchase would be safe?

Thank

I get to work on a fair amount of "B-stock" equipment. It's a crap shoot.

I have a B-stock Marantz surround receiver in the shop right now. No
question it had a failure, but it won't act up in the shop, and I don't
expect it to. A glitchy problem, almost guaranteed to re-occur. The customer
is going to be fighting this one - I'm going to have to send it back as "no
problem found", and suggest he try to get it exchanged instead.
B-Stock units are only checked superficially at best, and they let the buyer
do the QC.

Mark Z.