Posted to rec.audio.car
g g is offline

Default Clean/demagnetize in-dash cassette player

On Apr 19, 6:16*pm, George Neuner wrote:
Hi all,

I have an older BMW (E36) with an in-dash cassette player.

I've been using a cassette adapter for MP3 for many years which I tend
to leave in the tape deck - I haven't played an actual cassette tape
in probably a decade. *But recently I've been getting a lot of static
from the tape deck. *I checked the adapter in another cassette player
and it was OK, so I believe the tape deck is dirty or magnetized.

Problem: the unit won't play a cleaning tape. *It runs for 2 seconds,
reverses for 2 seconds and then "tape error" appears on the radio
display. *In other tape players the cleaning tape runs for 20+
seconds. *I've tried a few different cleaning tapes with no luck.

I have a demagnetizing wand which I stuck it in as far as possible and
waved around for a couple of minutes, but the loading mechanism
retracts and drops behind the display panel so I can't physically get
to the head, capstan or rollers. *My attempt at demagnetizing improved
the situation somewhat, but there is still quite a bit of static
coming from the tape deck.

Is there some special kind of cleaning tape for auto cassette players?
All the advice online is to just get a cleaning tape from Radio Shack
(or wherever) and run it. *That doesn't seem to work.

I had the tape deck cleaned by the dealer many years ago, but they
charged an obscene amount (even then) for doing so. * The car is in
good shape and I'd like to sell it if possible, but I'd like the
stupid tape deck to work if someone tries it and I'd rather not pay
$270/hr for a dealer technician to pull the deck and clean it.

Any advice?
George

Old machines are likely not to pull tape.

You mean you can't stick an alcohol q tip and clean the head?

Greg