Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

Default PCM Stereo or DTS HELP

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 7:37:11 PM UTC-5, bkluk7 wrote:
My Audio setup: Blu Ray player to 5.1 Yamaha Receiver via digital coax.

I realize that PC M is an uncompressed format that should sound better
than DTS or Dolby Digital. However, while watching a Blu Ray last night,
something didn't sound quite right with the surround sound. Movie
dialogue was alternating between the center channel and L/R speakers,
and the SL and SR didn't seem to be working correctly.

Upon troubleshooting, the blu ray PLAYER audio output format was PCM,
but my receiver only detected/sent it in stereo (only the L and R
speakers were lit on the display). When I changed the output mode of the
blu ray PLAYER to DTS, the receiver detected/sent proper 5.1. When I
went to the audio settings on the actual blu ray DISC, the
primary/standard option (the only option in English and without
subtitles) was 6.1 DTS.
I ended up keeping the blu ray PLAYER output format on DTS to match, and
the surround worked.

I thought PCM was the new standard. If a DISC only outputs in DTS, is
this correct? How do I get PCM surround? Is this only available using
an HDMI cable?

--
bkluk7

Eventually you're going to have to bail on that unit and get something that has hdmi. I put it off for a while myself but the hd surround formats are worth it.