Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default old tube phonograph questions

On 10/19/16 14:43, so wittily quipped:
The electrolytic capacitors in the crossover network will probably have to be replaced as well. I'm concerned that Polarized electrolytic capacitors were used in the original design instead of non-polarized capacitors. This is not good design practice. Reverse voltage on an electrolytic capacitor can damage the capacitor.

you might consider replacing them with ceramics. modern (layered)
ceramic capacitors can exceed several microfarads at a considerable
voltage, and might even cost less. They won't have ESR issues, nor have
to be at 'working voltage' to get the rated capacitance.

I assume speaker crossover capacitors, right? Yeah, they SHOULD be
non-polar. Ideally they should be non-electrolytic.

The motor is frozen on the turntable. Removing the dried out grease and lubricating should fix the problem. The rubber roller may need to be replaced. I'm also looking for a replacement for the original Collaro RC456 changer as another possibility.

That's assuming there's no rust...

Modern turntables should provide less wear on the vinyl media.

Especially if it uses a ceramic cartridge...

if you can manage to balance the tone arm and/or put a more modern
(dynamic) cartridge in it [keeping the old-style look, of course], that
might be pretty cool. some Pb solder taped/glued into place, maybe? Or
a few spots of hot glue [it's kinda heavy]