Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Digital I/O connectors to PC...?

On 3/17/2012 9:26 PM, Phil W wrote:

IF you want to bother with Tascamīs driver policy...
Remember, they did NOT release Win7 drivers for the first
generation USB interfaces (US-122 etc.), but suggested to
just buy a newer model. Not so cool for stuff, thatīs only
about 3 years old and the hardware could keep working
several more years.

I've said this many times over - that a piece of hardware
will long outlast the software that's needed to support it.
But on the other hand, if you hadn't upgraded your computer
to Win7 you could still be using the US-122 and it would
still be as good and as useful as it ever was.

The problem comes when you HAVE to upgrade something, like
when the computer goes up in smoke, you buy a new one, and
it comes with a newer (and unsupported) operating system
installed. You're reluctant to try to downgrade it to your
old OS.

Of you find it necessary (as in cost-effective) to use some
software or hardware that isn't supported by your old
computer or operating system. I've been debating upgrading
(it would be a new computer) to Win7 for more than a year
now. I don't need it, but I have a copy of Pro Tools 10 and
a bunch of interfaces that it will work with, and I'l like
to be able to run it. I don't need it. I can do all the
recording I need to do with what I have now, but when I
review an audio interface I'd like to be able to say that it
works with Pro Tools 10 (or has some quirks).

But I'm not currently making any money writing reviews and I
haven't had a paying instruction manual or application note
to write in quite a while. Maybe I'll have a breakthrough
and some paying work will come along in the future, but
having Pro Tools 10 isn't going to make that happen. So I'm
being "professional" (as we say in another thread) and not
making the jump yet since I know it'll cost me money that
won't be paid back soon.

Good thing most old computers last forever.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff