Chris Del Faro

Default Studio Projects B1 Vs. RCA 77D

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in message ...
Barton wrote:
I do voiceovers and have heard really good comments on the Studio Projects
B1. At the moment the two mics I use are the EV RE20 and an RCA 77D (been
reworked by Clarence Kane @ ENak). I use the RE20 for the punchier stuff
and the RCA for the more mellow delivery.

I don't own a condenser mic and was wondering what the B1 would give me
that the RCA or RE20 wouldn't? Would a condenser be a good 'middle ground'
between the two? I'm the only one using the studio, so other voices are not
an issue..at least not at the moment.

It will give you a very different top end, a lot more forward up there
than either the RE-20 or the 77DX. It's worth auditioning one. It will
be much more punchy than the RE-20, and far more so than the 77DX.
--scott

Tha B1 is more "forward" and "punchy" compared to my closest reference point,
the Electro-Voice RE16, as Scott said.
Been getting a good vocal sound with it by cutting around 2 dB @ 200 Hz with
a shelf type EQ. It has a strong proximity effect and picks up the low end in
a voice well.
The build quality on the B1 is fine IMHO.

Chris