Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
David Nebenzahl

Default Yahama "natural sound" amp specs?

Mike Rieves spake thus:

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. com...

Mike Rieves wrote:

"rumble" wrote in message
groups.com...

can anyone tell me where to find specs or an owner's manual for a:

YAMAHA NATURAL SOUND STEREO POWER AMP (M-50)

Yamaha is decent sound reinforcement stuff, amp power is usually
underrated, they put out more than the specs say, but it isn't studio
quality, if that's what you're looking for. .

OK, I'll bite. Just what exactly makes a stereo amp of "studio quality"
better than an otherwise excellent stereo amp?

I would concede the Yamaha consumer power amp is not "professional" in
terms of ruggedness etc, also in studio applications I can see that
balanced inputs might be necessary, but for the purpose of reproducing
stereo sound, as opposed to reinforcing it, I cannot think of any
qualities that would make a "studio" amp preferable in terms of sound
quality.

Nope, the differences would be in flat response, slew rate, THD, IMD,
damping, etc, along with other differences not shown in the published specs.

Maybe you missed the earlier post where someone gave some of the
published specs for this amp. One of them was 0.01% THD. If true, I
would think that would be plenty good enough for studio use, assuming
the other specs are on par with it.

--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this

- Horst Prillinger (see
http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.p...06/000623.html)