Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

Default I want to transfer MP3 from CDs to my MP3 player

On 13 Oct 2016, John Abnarthy wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Very simple, I just want to transfer MP3's from CD's in order with
titles, etc to my MP3 player to listen in the car. What software,
preferably freeware, will do the job? Thank you.

What are the capabilities of your car player? Can it play playlists in
..m3u or other format?

The difficulty is getting the songs to appear in a certain order. Files
burned to disc are supposed to be accessible randomly by a computer -
the idea of "ordering" them on the disc doesn't have much meaning. It's
up to the software on the player side of the equation that decides the
order in which the files will be presented to you. I would hope that
the player might let you sort by Title, Artist, Album, etc - if not, it
might present them in alphanumeric order by file name. So, one possible
way might be to rename the files, prepending a number to them so they
sort in number sequence in your preferred order.

If your player can recognize a playlist on the disc, that would be the
easiest way to do it. M3U playlists are simply text file lists of the
file names, which can be in any order you like. If the car player will
read a playlist file, it will play the songs on the disc in that order.

From a little reading I just did, I think the way iTunes handles it is
that when you burn a playlist to disc as mp3s, it renames the files
with numbers at the beginning, like I mentioned above.

I think that Windows Media Player creates an M3U playlist and burns it
to the disc along with the mp3 files themselves.

I haven't actually tested either of those to see if I'm right. The
upshot, though, is that both iTunes and WMP *may* be able to do what
you want, though by different methods.