Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,rec.audio.tech
Paul[_21_] Paul[_21_] is offline

Default Typical first pass tutorial process on Windows 10 where NONEof the extent how to articles actually tell you what you really need to do!

Arlen Holder wrote:
On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 10:57:54 -0500, Paul wrote:

"Allow desktop apps to access your microphone"
+-------+
| | X | "On"
+-------+

Hi Paul,

I appreciate your always purposefully helpful advice as not only do I learn
more from your help, but others who are lurking will also benefit greatly.

Thanks for clarifying that because the goal, always, is a tutorial that
others can use so they would be up & running in minutes, not hours.

I must admit that I don't even know what the "microphone" has to do with
it, 'cuz I don't even _have_ a microphone on my desktop!

Nonetheless, in my frustration, I turned on _everything_ I could:
o Win+R ms-settingsrivacy-microphone
Where it seems, from what you wrote, I only needed to turn on:
o Allow desktop apps to access your microphone = on

Ooops.

I just tested that setting and you need _another_ setting:
o Allow apps to access your microphone = On

What's confusing is that my desktop doesn't even have a mic!

Microsoft uses terminology to suit the high-runner application.

The permission is more likely to be "use the ADC on the HDAudio",
meaning Mic_In, Line_In, Stereo_Mix. All of those are multiplexer
inputs feeding a stereo ADC on the HDaudio chip.

They could refine their permission to any degree they want,
but there aren't any other choices than "Microphone", and the
only way to make one control "fit" is if the control actually
owns the ADC instead. If Microsoft said "permission to use the ADC",
nobody is going to know what that is.

Paul