Scott Dorsey

Matrixmusic wrote:

You night be correct, but to my ears I hear a big difference.
I find that using a Ahk D 112or EV 20 has a lot more bottom end
on a kick drum than a 421.

This is a totally different issue. On open kick drum, most of the real sense
of the drum is actually caused by diaphragm breakup on the microphone. This
is why those three mikes sound so dramatically different on kick, much more
dramatic than they are alone.

If you put a B&K lab mike into a kick drum, you'll get a huge amount of
bottom end. In fact, all you'll get is bottom end and when you play the
thing back on typical speakers you just get a weak "whoomph" sort of sound
because the speakers can't even reproduce what you've got. It's the
microphone distortion that is adding the body and the sense of depth to
the drum.

On closed kick, it's a totally different matter, though.

Also I used a B&K 4000 and a M49 on Yo Yo's Cello and he picked the
LDC hands down for it's better botoom end.
Again I atate you might be technically correct, but my ears just don't
but it.

Which 4000? If it was one of the omnis, I could see the proximity boost
from the M49 being a good thing.