Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] air453@gmail.com is offline

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

On Jan 1, 4:26 pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On Jan 1, 3:30 pm, wrote:

I'll just come out with it. I am a college sportscaster, and I
would like to use this microphone once or twice for a basketball radio
broadcast at my university station

Finally! They all seem to come up with the missing details eventually.
As long as you're not also announcing the game over the PA system, you
don't have to worry about feedback, but you probably don't want to use
an omni either unless you have an enclosed booth, since it's probably
pretty noisy on the court. A headset mic is usually best for that kind
of application, and that's why your station uses them.

I only wanted the vintage fatboy because I love the way it looks.

I can understand the inspiration. Dave Letterman doesn't really need a
vintage RCA mic, but it just looks right to him. I understand that he
occasionally taps it with a pencil and it sounds live, but I wouldn't
be surprised if his primary audio actually comes from a condenser clip-
on mic that the engineers are more comfortable with.

So why don't you use a headset or clip-on mic connected to the
telephone interface, set up the 55, and pretend that's what you're
broadcasting through?

I'm really sorry everyone for confusing! I wasn't trying to mislead!
I mostly want the mic for fun, for recording PSAs and spots (which
will be in a quiet studio), but yes, I would like to do a gimmick and
use it for one basketball broadcast. I can do it at a women's game so
crowd noise won't really be a problem.

I have heard the Shure 55 SH and love the way it sounds (and it's
unidirectional), and if I could duplicate that sound in my old fatboy
shell, it will become my most prized possession. Don't mean to sound
dramatic, but I want something that's a bit more than a showpiece,
something functional. That's why I don't want to simply attach a lav
mic and use the vintage as a prop.

If it can't be done, it can't be done, but if I don't ask, I won't
know!

Thank you all again for the help,

Adam