Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

Mike Rivers wrote:

I can understand the inspiration. Dave Letterman doesn't really need a
vintage RCA mic, but it just looks right to him. I understand that he
occasionally taps it with a pencil and it sounds live, but I wouldn't
be surprised if his primary audio actually comes from a condenser clip-
on mic that the engineers are more comfortable with.

It does, as well as the boom mike. Likewise that SM-33 that sat on
Johnny Carson's desk for years was normally silent, and when they brought
it up occasionally to deal with failed lav mikes the difference in
sound quality was considerable.

So why don't you use a headset or clip-on mic connected to the
telephone interface, set up the 55, and pretend that's what you're
broadcasting through?

If it's good enough for Johnny Carson....