Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

wrote:

Hehe. I'll just come out with it. I am a college sportscaster, and I
would like to use this microphone once or twice for a basketball radio
broadcast at my university station in Washington DC. We have a comrex
hooked up to a phone line (we're not even ISDN), and our headset
microphones are average (though I don't know the model offhand,
sorry). Basically, I was hoping the vintage mic I bought would
compete with the headsets at our station, or even the $20 lapel mic I
bought at radio shack, so you know I'm not looking for pro quality
stuff.

The thing is, that's not a microphone anyone would ever have used for
that application when it was new. You'd have been a lot more likely
to see an EV 630 or an RCA ice cream cone on the desk in that kind
of situation back in the fifties.

Have you ever used a 635A on the desk? Give it a try. If you stick
an omni element inside the case, the best you'll ever do will be
something like that. If that works out well enough for you, try it.
I think you'll get way too much crowd noise.

But for a sportscast, why the hell do you care WHAT the microphone
looks like? Nobody can see it on the radio. That's the thing about
radio.

I only wanted the vintage fatboy because I love the way it looks.
It's not for publicity, it's not for TV, it's simply for the sheer joy
of it. I know I'm being a pain in the ass, but this is something that
would make me very happy, and if it works, I will cherish it. I'm
normally very cheap and hate spending money, but in this case, I'm
willing to go for it.

There are plenty of great looking microphones, though, that actually
sound good. Hell, you can get an EV 664 for cheap, and it'll beat
most modern dynamics hands down for the application. There's no reason
to waste your money on cheesy crap that is only worth money because
Japanese collectors want to put it behind glass.