Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Keep the Mac or eBay it?

On 8/06/2020 5:50 pm, Trevor wrote:
On 7/06/2020 12:14 am, Tobiah wrote:
On 6/5/20 3:12 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Tobiah
wrote:

Unless you want to use a command-line DAW (?!!!) then surely you are
approaching everything from 100% the wrong direction ?!!!

Not from one direction or the other.Â* I just want both.
Of course I live in the GUI, with browsers and audio
programs open, along with terminal windows.

One way I would like to work, is to write command line
programs that generate MIDI messages that are sent to
a sampler.

You need an Atari ST.
--scott

In the mid 80's I was absorbed by a Yamaha CX5M computer.
It had a four operator FM synth module that could be
triggered through hooks in the BASIC language.

That was cookin' with gas.Â* I saved everything
on cassette tape, but didn't know what I was
missing.Â* The first program on the tape would
display an index into tape counter positions
for the other programs.Â* It was the inception
of a file system.

While I'm on nostalgia, had come across a commodore 64
with a printer at a thrift shop.Â* I wanted to print
from the Yamaha, so I used the Yamaha's controllable
cassette motor relay to switch pins of the joystic port
on the commodore.Â* Assembly routines on both ends worked
out a timing code to send the data across and on to
the printer.

But nostalgia still ain't what it used to be! :-)

Thinking back on nostalgia some more, I recall an electronics project
making a class-D (well, PWM) audio amplifier out of a 555 . It actually
worked - well, you could make out words ...

But I have no desire to go back there .

geoff