Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Attenuate highest highs?

On 21/02/2020 12:18 am, Peter Wieck wrote:
Snark Warning!

This pretty much summarizes my approach to speaker placement. There are overly bright rooms,

**Yep. And these are, far and away, the worst rooms for listening to
reproduced music.

there are overly dull rooms.

**Ummm, no. The BEST room to hear a music reproduction system in is an
anechoic (or, more properly: Near anechoic) room. I've done so on
several occasions and it never fails to demonstrate just how vital room
reflections are to destroying the integrity of recorded music.

But in the typical household, they are the rare exception. For the
most part, speaker placement is bunged by practical needs such as 'the
speakers can't go there because...', there by requiring compromises, not
always pleasant. And in the case of Shaun's speaker/amp/sub-woofer
system, I expect that electronic equalization will be the most practical
solution, and also the most transferable of the options should he have
to move. I admit to keeping an equalizer - but it hardly gets used as I
am also blessed with an understanding wife who allows me to put the
speakers where they 'want' to be in both listening areas. That one pair
are Maggies makes her even more remarkable.

**Maggies are particularly critical WRT placement and room effects, due
to the bipolar nature of the sound.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au