Chris Hornbeck

Default How in the hell do you mic a bagpipe???

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:01:45 +1200,
(Mike Clayton) wrote:

Continuing in the same vein Paul, a few years ago ('bout 4 now, I think) I
spent a few days at an orchestra camp. I was playing double bass, and for
rehearsals and the concert performance (Fingal's Cave overture was one of
the pieces, and a cupla movements from Britten's Simple Symphony - bit of
a misnomer that!) I was stood next to and slightly in front of the timpani
player. I had a headache and mild tinnitus for three days afterwards. I
didn't dare to do any sound level measurements!

A 36" x 15" bass drum makes a peak output of about 25 acoustic watts.
And snares and cymbals get into the 10 watt range.
Pretty scary really.

Chris Hornbeck