Posted to rec.audio.pro
jwvm jwvm is offline

Default decent home cd player for under $100?

On Feb 25, 6:35 pm, "Daniel Fox" wrote:
Home stereo question follows:

I've got a Marantz cd-63 Mk II from circa 1995 which I like a lot. It
has always been pretty highly regarded as a quality cd player without
breaking the break, but now mine is finally dying. I'm wondering
whether to try and get it fixed or just go for a sub $100 DVD player
instead. I've heard thru the grapevine that inexpensive modern DVD
players sound better than alot of the highter dollar CD players of
yesteryear. Is this true?

you don't necessarily want to believe the grapevine in this case.
Inexpensive DVD players may very well sound similar to your current CD
player but there is no reason to expect that it will sound
significantly better. DVD players with no display are inconvenient to
use without a TV so you want to spend enough to get a display. If you
have a DVD player, why not just try it out? BTW, you might get more
interesting answers if you posted this question to rec.audio.high-
end.