Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Oregonian Haruspex Oregonian Haruspex is offline

Default Is surround sound for music and home theater on its way out

On 2014-02-10 11:31:33 +0000, said:

This article points to another nail in the coffin of hifi. Multichannel
was the obvious next direction for music reproduction to take. It appears
that avenue is now dead or dying.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57...news&tag=title

As far as I am aware, there has always been only a tiny amount of music
produced for surround sound anyway. If it was on life support from the
get-go, is it fair to say it's dying now? Personally I have never
bothered installing surround sound, instead concentrating on a good
stereo setup, just because it's difficult or impossible to get the
music I enjoy in surround sound anyway. Movies have a similar problem
- many titles make awfully poor use of surround sound so why bother
with it in order to just hear the occasionally odd noise?