Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default Andrew Jute KISS 194

On 06/08/16 04:14, Peter Wieck so wittily quipped:
On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 7:40:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm interested in this speaker. Anyone has built one and has the plan to share with me.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+speaker+plans

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+Speaker+Plans

There are dozens of horn plans available on-line, pretty much all of them infinitely better than the design you have linked. Pick the one that strikes your fancy and try it out. BUT: There are some issues with such speakers:

snip

yeah, pretty much a foregone conclusion on that. with the exception of
tweeter horns, anyway [they seem to work ok]. But I never really use
those any more either.

Whenever I get the temptation to indulge in horn speakers, I lie down until it goes away.

related, the Howard W. Sams book on speaker design (an oldie but a
goodie) goes into various aspects of horn design, not in a LOT of detail
as I recall.

My inclination has always been to make the largest practical 'infinite
baffle' enclosure, use heavy cone large magnet woofers, a proper
crossover, and matching mid/tweeter (as needed). The speaker efficiency
DOES need to match between woofer, mid, and tweeter, or your mid/tweeter
will be TOO LOUD for a proper flat response. Woofers, particularly
heavy cone woofers, tend to be slightly LESS efficient than their
lighter-coned brothers as mid/tweeter.

A nice way to cheat: use a REALLY good set of 6x9 tri-axial car
speakers in an infinite baffle enclosure, with the 'golden' 2x3x4 ratio,
placed nearer to one corder (bottom right/left is what I prefer), so
that they mirror one another, and place them so that the speakers are
the widest possible distance from one another. 3 cubic feet usually
works well, then line it with some kind of acoustic material to prevent
resonance and improve frequency response. Bass reflex ports optional.
I never seem to need them...