Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default [OT]? Replacing 1/4" jack on amplified acoustic guitar.

I got the offending plug tip out of the jack by
slamming it on the desk many times. Put that jack
back into the guitar, and I'm all working again.

On 6/7/2014 11:32 AM, Tobiah wrote:
I have a Takamini Classical with a preamp/effects unit
built in. I plugged in a cheap cord, and the tip came
of into the jack, which is a metal completely enclosed
unit. I don't see much hope of retrieving the offending
piece of metal, so the amp has remained unused for quite
a while.

I ordered a replacement jack that was supposed to be
a direct replacement, and indeed, it looks just the same.
I soldered the new jack on with care. I made nice clean
joints and everything looked great.

Now, the effects unit is supposed to power on when you
insert something into the phone jack. This fails to
happen now. I tried fresh batteries, but no luck.

The audio jack is wired to a stereo 1/8" phone plug
that plugs into the effects unit. I unplugged that
phone plug and tested tip/ring/sleeve, which all
tested good going out the the 1/4" jack which I stuck
a TRS cable into for testing. There are no shorts, and
the tip and ring connect distinctly to their counterparts
at the 1/4" end.

But the effects unit will not turn on. What does it expect
to see? Normally, I can plug anything into the 1/4" jack,
and its presence turns on the unit. Now, no dice. I'm
wondering what to try now. What is it that normally turns
the effects on? I wonder whether I shorted the wrong pair
in the jack by having that rogue tip stuck in there for so
long.

Thanks,

Toby

---