Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default r/audioengineering could really use you guys

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 03:36:25 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

If you feel you understand this, then state the difference between analog
and digital in a simple manner.

OK. Here goes.

Analogue is a situation where the pressure levels in a sound signal
are represented by analogous levels in a voltage. The voltage is a
continuous function, without steps.

Digital means exactly what it says. The original analogue signal has
ben sampled and measured, and the measured levels expressed as numbers
(that is the "digital" bit - digits are numbers, ok?). Those numbers
are not subject to the distortions of the analogue domain - they are
only changed by mathematical operations.

What do I mean? If I put an analogue signal through an amplifier with
10% distortion, I have a 10% distorted analogue signal. If I put a
digital signal through an amplifier with 10% distortion, I still have
a perfect undistorted digital signal, right up to the point where I
can no longer decode it. If I want to impose 10% distortion on the
digital audio, I must multiply the numbers by a non-linear
mathematical function. That is the difference between analogue and
digital signals.