Brian

ren wrote:

Brian wrote:
I had so many replies in my last post about BOSE that I thought I'd
better start a new post. No one wants to read 199 or so posts and some
of the posts were not related to my question.

More on Bose. It's a never ending oddesy.

Thank you for all your helpful replies.

But did they make an impression? Did you look at some of the posted
links that discuss the Bose dilemma in detail?

It's possible that the BOSE speakers do not sound good in a large
room.
The Room I have my BOSE speakers in is 5 x 3.5 meters. The distance
from the speakers is 3 meters.

Very scientific.

The BOSE sub woofer is in a corner facing the wall so that low
frequency sound bounces off the wall giving me more bass volume.

Yes more reflection gives more bass but...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

If I turn up the volume too high then the speakers don't sound so
good, for example when I say loud I mean so loud that I can't hear the
speech of someone standing next to me. I normally have the volume loud
enough to hear the phone ring or are able to talk to someone next to
me without shouting.

This is also an indication of the fact that even when you can't hear the
speakers distorting at lower volumes they still are.

So what I'm saying is BOSE can sound good but only in a certain setup.

Totally subjective but yes they can if that is what you like, just don't
call them hifi or be under the misconception you can't get better
fidelity (more true output in relation to the source) for the same money.

I had a listen a pair of Paradigm speakers. One was called "Esprit"
the other "Phantion". They're floor standing speakers. They seem to
sound their best with music that rapidly changes in volume such as
orchestra music that has impact as they have a wide dynamic range.
They lacked in imaging and in deep bass as there low frequency
response was 45Hz.

You Bose system probably doesn't go anywhere near that low and if you
put the Paradigm in the same corner where your sub is they would be
considerably lower sounding than your Bose sub. But you are saying that
the Bose have better imaging? I would submit that if you had the
Paradigm setup in your room not the store that the imaging would be far
superior to the Bose.

Regards Brian

Ren says enjoy your Bose but you should really read some of those links
listed in the previous thread. Hey if you like the way they sound then
that's the whole point but you should try and hook up with an audiophile
can let you listen to a hifi system I think you will be impressed.

I have read all the 200+ replies and are reading the links, some links
have been very helpful.
I'm beginning to think that saterlite speakers are good for surround
sound movies and bookself or floor standing speakers are good for
music.

Regards Brian