Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Do we need science in subjective audio "reviewing"?

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:22:54 -0700, C. Leeds wrote
(in article ):

From: "C. Leeds"
Date: Yesterday 4:22 PM
Newsgroups: rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

The $3000 wire folk turn to pulling the cloak of science about their
sholders by offering that skin effect or quantum electron alignment or
some such the source of the reported perception events the item is said to
produce. They will even give us numbers and pretty graphs to that effect.
Almost without exception a reviewer will include such marketing blurbs as
the proported science underlying the perception effect if they have none
of their own to offer.

Again, you trot out your $3,000 per foot wire as a straw man example,
but you cite no reference for your claims. Since you say these things
happen "almost with exception," it should be easy for you to provide
specific examples for discussion.

We who are of the view that the source of the reported perception event
likely lies in the brain and not the object need not even evoke any
science.

Are you also expecting special exemption from documenting your other
claims, such as about $3,000 per foot wire?

I'm not sure that I understand your objection. Are you saying that IS no
$3000/ft wire? While that may, indeed be a bit of a hyperbole, I do know for
a fact that a company named Nordost sells a pair of 1-meter long
interconnects called the "Valhallas" that are $4000. So the notion of a pair
of interconnects or a speaker cable that sells for $3000/ft wouldn't surprise
me.