Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] outsor@city-net.com is offline

Default Do we need science in subjective audio "reviewing"?

some people have hastened to suggest that there is a sharp divide
concerning the use of science vs. subjective belief systems in audio. I
would be happy to see one subjective audio "reviewer" and fellow traveler
marketing dept. who don't turn to asserted scientific validation as
quickly as they do to reporting of their perceptual events when listening
to some bit of gear and what sonic delight will follow the purchase of
same.. This can be as simple as suggesting that the speed of woofer
movement makes for "fast" bass or the need to inhibit vibration in solid
state audio amps.

The $3000 wire folk turn to pulling the cloak of science about their
sholders by offering that skin effect or quantum electron alignment or
some such the source of the reported perception events the item is said to
produce. They will even give us numbers and pretty graphs to that effect.
Almost without exception a reviewer will include such marketing blurbs as
the proported science underlying the perception effect if they have none
of their own to offer.

We who are of the view that the source of the reported perception event
likely lies in the brain and not the object need not even evoke any
science. We need only request simple common sense and simple logic. If
the object said to be the source of the perception event is inserted and
removed without the listeners knowledge and the perception effect can not
be shown beyond chance to track accordingly, a simple bit of deduction
best describes the outcome.

We need not appeal to what science is violated in the reported source of
the perception event at all nor show the claimed but not previously
demonstrated science evoked by the subjective event reporter is not
substantuated.

We need not know anything at all about electronics or acoustics nor
psycho/perceptual matters. We need only to show that the reported
perception event doesn't track the presence or not of the bit of audio
gear said to be it's source.

If it does not track the matter is settled, if it does then turning to
science makes sense least we get our cart before the horse.