Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Touring Advice

On 9/27/2014 6:39 PM, Jeff Henig wrote:

I'm working on some solo gigs (both a cappella/church and
instrumental/secular) and looking at the best way to deal with venues,
multiple revenue streams, etc. without acting like a psychotic
gold-digger.

Best way to do that is to hire a good manager and keep out of his or her
way.

I've read Krasilovsky and Shemel's "This Business of Music" and "More
About This Business of Music", as well as J. Dearing's "Making Money
Making Music" (many moons ago). I'm in the middle of "The Music Industry
Self-Help Guide" by Michael Repel.

What is another good source of info in this area (book, video, or
otherwise)?

If you feel like you're getting something useful from books, try Project
Management for Musicians by Jonathan Feist, published by Berklee Press.
It's heavy stuff, but presented using terminology that's familiar to
musicians rather than generic terms that they used in a couple of
project management classes that I had to take in my life as an
engineering manager.

What you'll learn from the book is a process for systematically
identifying all the parts that have to come together in order to reach
your goal or goals for the project, and making sure that you're aware of
the resources required and when every piece has to be completed before
some other piece is started.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com