normanstrong

Default "Universal" Players less DVD-Video

"Peter" wrote in message
Does anyone know of the existence, or perhaps the planning, of

"Universal"
players, that will play CDs, CDRs, CDRWs, SACDs, and DVD-As, but not

DVD
Video?

It seems to me that a "Universal" player as I described above would

be much
simpler, and less expensive, to build than one that also

incorporates
DVD-Video, and at least I for one, and I would think many other

music
enthusiasts, really have no interest in combining Video with

High-Fidelity
audio systems.

The amount saved by dispensing with video in your example is so small
that I can't imagine any company ignoring that piece of the market.
e.g., how much would be saved by building a high priced TV set with no
sound (on the theory that the sound is going to come from your home
theater system?) Probably none. The manufacturer will lose more
market share than he can make up in parts saved. Besides which,
DVD-A for one has a substantial video component.

If I were in the market for a $1000 universal player, such as you
describe, I wouldn't buy one without video just to save $20. If the
manufacturer was that eager to save a few dollars, I'd wonder where
else he might have chosen to save even more.

Norm Strong