Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

Default RNC question

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 9:34:40 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 9:22:43 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/8/2017 8:01 AM, wrote:
1.5A 9VDC supply, $6.95!

RTFMessage! This is a DC power supply (about a hundred of 'em - you
could have linked to the one you thought was the right one). A DC power
supply won't power a device that expects an AC input, at least not with
considerable modification.

I can't say offhand how the numbers work out, but I have two of them running
off a (10V at 1.2A) Triad FP10-1200 flatpack transformer, along with some
crossover electronics that probably take a hundred mA. The Triads are pretty
conservatively rated, they fit into a 1U case, but I think the 1.2A is the
largest one available.

If I was looking for 9 or 10 volts at 1.5A, I would look at the Amveco
(formerly Talema) toroids.

I used to buy standard 12V Xfmrs, and removed secondary turns to whatever I needed. Costly to buy non-standard voltages, 18V CT makes more sense.

Jack

Now, you may ask, how do you know how many turns to remove.
Good question.
Plug in transformer, measure secondary voltage open circuit.
Fish a small wire through each window of the transformer, as (1) turn.
Plug in transformer and measure voltage of that one turn, that will give us volts per turn.
Say it measures 0.4 volts
Divide secondary winding by .4V and that tells us how many secondary turns.
Elementary after that.
A decent rule for transformers, square-root of kVA = Volts Per Turn

Jack