Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Car Audio

On 07/06/2016 17:44, wrote:
John Williamson wrote: - show quoted text -
"Then I checked on a few mates' cars and a few mp3 players, using friends
and performers to criticise the mix as needed, modifying as required. "

In the case of the mp3 players, wouldn't "modifying as required"
mean dynamically compressing, or, peak limiting at least 6dB
off the track so it could be made loud enough for playback via
an amp the size of a M&M?

I have never found the need to do that.

A bit of mild compression to lift the lowest levels is all it's ever
taken, given careful recording and post production work. On multi track
recordings, a touch of compression on the vocals and careful
optimisation of background instrument levels with some gain riding will
be needed, given a good performance. If it's Fred from down the pub with
his mates playing while they're drunk out of their skulls at an open mic
night, then all gloves are off, it's multi track close mic'd with
autotune on all channels except maybe the drums and I do whatever needs
doing to get it to sound reasonable.

Then again, I don't work on Techno, Electro, Rap or Drum'n'Bass.

If you want to hear *loud* with very little compression on the recording
and post processing, listen to Phil Specter's Wall Of Sound singles and
albums. They also have a decent dynamic range both by listening and
looking at the playback envelope. They work well on everything I've ever
used, from a grotty transistor radio earpiece in the '60s to a full
range recording monitor setup in this Century, via an indecently loud
disco I used to run at college. That used to MAKE my ears distort in the
hall, but sounded fantastic from a few hundred yards away at the top of
the nearby hill with a girl to provide company. ;-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.