Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

Default 1st try kt88 amp

On Sep 2, 8:03*pm, Don wrote:
please see the schematic in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
under "1st try kt88 amp"
it is a Mullard 5-10, Pat Turner, andwww.diytube.cominspired mash-up.
-Don

Can't see it... could you post it somewhere else that is universally
accessible?
That said, and from memory, the 5-10 (I built two back in the day and
I'm still a "5-10 fan") used EL84 (6BQ5) o/p tubes driven directly
from a 12AX7 LTP phase splitter for 11 to 14 watts maximum output
depending on OPT connections (ultralinear or simple pentode,
respectively.) Your KT88's could give over twice that output power
but will likely need more drive than the LTP can provide - hence the
extra driver stage in the Williamson design. BTW, there was a Mullard
5-20 (20 watts) using EL34 o/p tubes around the same time, also with a
direct LTP phase splitter drive, but I don't know if that was pushing
the LTP drive limit.
If I had two KT88's (I wish!) I'd build the Williamson design, but
stabilize it with the "low frequency shelf" discussed here at length a
short while ago.
Cheers,
Roger