Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Simple Test Circuit for Tube Noise

wrote:

Apparently you're right about enlarging the grid resistor, but for a
different reason. A bigger grid/charge resistor results in LOWER
noise.

It's not lower noise, it's more signal.

Likewise if you have a DC blocking cap between the capsule and the tube
or fet, the value of that influences the signal level more than it
influences the frequency response.

Mind you the end result in S/N is the same, of course.

How's that for counter-intuitive? My beef with my prototype
is noise, so hopefully this is the answer. I'll let y'all know.
Check out the paper below, page 2:

http://www.etymotic.com/publications/erl-0053-1967.pdf

Some things about this paper are right and some are wrong. Some of the
things that are wrong are things that came from Olsen's book on microphones.